Friday people across the world witnessed the largest ransomware attack on Intenet. Our country is also under its threat. Therefore as a preventive measure government closed all the ATM machines. Atm machine are vulnerable to it as all the ATMs run on Microsoft.
Image Source: Dailymirror
After this the apex bank: RBI directed all banks to restart ATM machines only after they are upadated. Directive was passed in response to Wannacry ransomeware which took down many computers across the world.
You are listening to ransomeware everyone. But do you know exactly what it is. No worries. Today we will tell you what it is and how can you prevent your computer system from its attack.
Image Source: ABS-CBN
What is Ransomware?
It is not a random program or virus. Ransomware is a malware that locks up your computer and ask for ransom to log in into your own system.
However, experts say that even after paying ransom, there is no guarantee that you will get access to your data.
Image Source: CNNmoney
How a computer gets infected by it?
It usually enters a system through links or attachment in malicious messages. It is usually hidden in links that are sent through emails.
Image Source: Indiatoday
How to protect your system from Ransomware attacks?
1. Open only those attachments that are sent from a trusted source.
2. Normally people don’t update thir system which makes it vulnerable to such attacks. So to keep your computer and data secure update your computer.
3. Apply patches to the system that are recommended by the Microsoft Security Bulletin MS17-010.
Image Source: ehackingnews
4. If you are a user of Windows XP, Vista, Server 2008, and Server 2003 then you should get a new version.
5. Keep a backup of all your important data. Moreover, try to regularly update an offline database system.
6. Organisations which connect to the Internet through Enterprise Edge or perimeter network devices should disable SMBv1 or block their SMB ports.