Indian Constitution is very vast. It has such a long history that not everyone can go through the fat law books kept in the library. This deprives many people of some basic rights. They are unaware of several rules defined by our Constitution.
These rules lay hidden under piles of dust and heavy books, waiting to be enforced and exercised. The Indian community is still ignorant of a number of rights bestowed upon it by the Constitution. So we have made that heavy task simpler for you.
Here is a list of 10 laws that many are not aware of:-
1. Women are allowed to lodge a FIR at any police station, irrespective of the place of crime
2. Under Section 294 of IPC, kissing in public is not an offense
The law states that obscenity in public is a crime but there is no hint towards kissing/hugging. So there is a benefit of the doubt!
3. According to Indian Sarais Act 1867, asking for drinking water and using the washroom in any hotel is totally free
4. The Hotel Association of India states that unmarried couples cannot be denied room in any hotel
5. One can not be arrested after the sunset and before sunrise
The Supreme Court stated that one can not be arrested during these hours so as to evade harassment. The law can only be repealed if the police get a written statement of why they require urgent arresting.
6. Women can file a complaint via email or registered post to the Deputy Commissioner or Commissioner of Police
7. Live-in relationships are totally legal and children born out of such relationships, have the right to parents’ property
8. According to Section 51 of CrPC, 1973, women offenders can only be arrested by women officers and that too only between 6AM-6PM
9. In 2011, the Ministry of Women and Child Development stated that a single man is not allowed to adopt a girl child
10. Maternity Benefit Act 1961 states that pregnant women cannot be fired from their jobs
Knowing about these eye-opening laws will make you a more informed and empowered citizen of the community.